Bethany United Methodist Church began in 1887 as a small one-room Sunday school, named Gloucester Point Chapel, a mission of Bethlehem Methodist Church in Bena, Virginia. In 1897, work began on a main sanctuary across the road (now Old Rt. 17) from the original building. In 1904, the sanctuary was ordained Bethany Methodist Church and joined other churches in the Virginia Conference, sharing one minister with Bethlehem.
By 1922, two wings and a choir loft were added to the main sanctuary, and in 1950 a basement, consisting of four classrooms, kitchen, and large meeting area, was completed.
Bethany became a station church in 1964, independent of Bethlehem.
A devastating fire destroyed the church in 1982, and services were held in Abingdon Elementary School until the present-day church and fellowship hall were built in 1983.
Bethany is now one of the most active churches in its District. With a full range of study and fellowship opportunities for all ages including two worship services, Sunday School, active youth and children’s ministries, and missions programs, Bethany continues to be a source of religious inspiration for the community and a visible reminder of the ideals and moral principles that a host of early worshipers have passed along to later generations.
(Source: “A Continuation of A History of Bethany United Methodist Church, September 2007 to September 2012,” researched and written by Donald M. Thomas)